The pending Paradigm case could hamper a possible return of Pacquiao boxing in the United States
MANILA, Philippines — Senator Manny Pacquiao may struggle to fight again in the United States if he decides to come back from retirement for even just one fight.
The 43-year-old eight-division world champion – now intrigued by a potential boxing comeback in the year after an unsuccessful presidential election last month – is still embroiled in legal issues with Paradigm Sports Management (PSM) at the Superior Court of California. .
And while there is rumor that a Pacquiao comeback is imminent this year according to MP Promotions chief Sean Gibbons, PSM Philippines liaison officer Ping Nepomuceno thinks otherwise.
“It will be too difficult for Senator Pacquiao to fight again in the United States due to the ongoing legal issues he is facing, particularly with Paradigm Sports Management,” Nepomuceno said. “He may have won the battle, but that doesn’t mean he’s won the war yet.”
PSM failed to stop Pacquiao’s rumored fight last year in Las Vegas with Errol Spence Jr. – who was replaced by Yordenis Ugas due to Spence’s injury – after the Orange County court did not grant the company the requested preliminary injunction.
However, the lawsuit between the two parties is still ongoing.
“The case is still ongoing, so whenever Senator Pacquiao even fights someone, Paradigm Sports Management will take another legal action against him. That’s why I don’t know what Mr. Gibbons is talking about. of a possible return of Pacquiao to the United States,” he added.
The case filed by PSM – a sports management agency that manages UFC star Conor McGregor – stems from his allegations that Pacquiao breached an earlier agreement with them regarding a fight with welterweight contender Mikey Garcia.
Paradigm chief Audie Attar seeks damages from Pacquiao, which includes recouping a $3.3 million advance he claims Pacquiao received when he signed with the agency in February 2020.
Meanwhile, Gibbons earlier told Planetsport’s Joe Hewlett that Pacquiao was open to a possible comeback fight, but it should be done this year. It could be an exhibition bout with former Filipino icon opponent Floyd Mayweather Jr.
But Nepomuceno denied Gibbons’ claims, saying the situation is similar to what happened last time when they didn’t sign Mayweather for a rematch after the Keith Thurman fight in 2019. He said that it was stipulated in the contract signed by Pacquiao with the promoter Premier Boxing Champions. in 2018.
Nepomuceno added that the only way for Pacquiao to fight again in the United States is to settle his case with PSM, show remorse and apologize for reneging on his obligations.
Pacquiao retired after losing to Ugas by unanimous decision in their fight on August 21, and instead continued his bid for president. He finished third in last month’s presidential elections won by President-elect Ferdinand Marcos Jr.