• Home
  • Sports Agent
  • NRL 2022: Teams chasing Melbourne Storm star Cameron Munster revealed

NRL 2022: Teams chasing Melbourne Storm star Cameron Munster revealed

By on September 12, 2022 0

Following the Storm’s shock exit from the NRL final series, agent Braith Anasta confirms it’s time for Cameron Munster to tell the Melbourne Storm the truth about his future.

Cameron Munster could soon find himself at the center of an all-out bidding war as rival clubs prepare to enter the fight for the NRL’s hottest out-of-contract star.

It comes amid growing speculation that 2023 will be Munster’s final season in Melbourne with Wests Tigers, Canterbury and Gold Coast now emerging as real threats to Wayne Bennett’s Dolphins.

Munster’s agent Braith Anasta confirmed on Monday that he will meet with his client in the coming days to make a final decision on whether he will stay or leave the Storm following the side’s surprise exit from the final.

Former Storm captain Cameron Smith also conceded on Monday his “hunch” was that Munster were leaving.

“If I’m being brutally honest, if he were to commit to the Melbourne Storm and extend his contract, he would have done it by now,” Smith told SEN.

Anasta and the Storm recently agreed to postpone all talks until the Storm’s season is finalized as Anasta could sense that was on Munster’s mind.

But after Saturday’s defeat at Canberra, Anasta confirmed that decision time had arrived.

Stream every game from every round of the 2022 NRL Telstra Premiership season live and ad-free during play on Kayo. New to Kayo? Start your free trial now >

“Cameron will decide whether he stays in Melbourne or not, as discussed with (Storm chairman) Matt Tripp, I suspect over the next few weeks,” Anasta said.

“I’m either going to fly to Melbourne or he’s going to fly here (to Sydney) and have a round of golf and we’ll discuss it in detail and see where his head is and what the final decision is.”

Asked if Munster gave him any indication which way he was leaning, Anasta added: “He is very confused.

“That’s why I postponed discussions (until the end of the Storm season). I didn’t talk to him because for the first time I could tell it was really playing on his mind.

“So, as exciting as the situation is, it’s really difficult. Honestly, I have no idea right now what he’s going to do. This will all come to a head very soon, I imagine.

When asked if it would just depend on the storm or the dolphins, he added: “I would say no to that.”

Melbourne have already made it clear that the most recent offer made to Munster – estimated to be around $1m per season – will be the latest and greatest.

The problem for the Storm is that they left Munster to last to try and re-sign after previously prioritizing Harry Grant, Ryan Papenhuyzen and Jahrome Hughes ahead of Munster.

But what he did was put Munster in a potentially sticky spot given he would literally have to walk away millions if he re-engages.

It is common knowledge that Munster would command north of $1.3m a season from other clubs, including the Dolphins, who are desperate to land a marquee player.

It’s also been reported that the Tigers will go even higher — around $7 million over five seasons — to try to blow their rivals out of the water.

Gold Coast and Canterbury are two other possible options, although other rivals would be ready to pounce if Munster officially goes on the open market.

The speculation linking Munster to the Dogs is interesting given that Canterbury have indicated that the priority for them is to keep Matt Burton beyond 2023, but the Bulldogs are also chasing a full-back.

Until now, most assumed it would either come down to Melbourne or the Dolphins for Munster.

But it is known that other rivals are now sitting to monitor the situation to see if it is worth entering the hunt on November 1, when Munster can officially sign a rival for the 2024 season.

Munster proved in the latter stages of the season that he is undoubtedly the Storm’s most important player and would be a huge loss for a club who are also losing Jesse and Kenny Bromwich, Felise Kaufusi and Brandon Smith to 2023.

Smith added to Sen: “He’s been at the club since he was 16 and we’ve heard Braith Anasta say the offer from Melbourne Storm is in the area where it should be.

“So what’s holding him back?”

“As bad as that sounds for all of the Storm fans and myself, I feel like he’s going to go to the Dolphins.”

Originally published as NRL 2022 Market Watch: Agent Braith Anasta tells Cam Munster it’s time to tell Storm the truth