Fury still champion after eliminating Wilder

By on October 10, 2021 0

Tyson Fury retained his WBC heavyweight title, but only after rising from the canvas twice before knocking out Deontay Wilder in the 11th round of a spellbinding contest at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

This third fight between the two was arguably their most captivating with five knockdowns in total, Wilder the first to pass after being put on his back to punishing punches from his big rival.

Wilder not only survived the third round but turned the fight around in the following session with his famous right hand decking Fury twice and this time it was the Briton who was hanging on to preserve his undefeated record.

But the efforts seemed to take their toll on Wilder, and Fury regained the upper hand around the scheduled halfway point, leveling knockdowns in the 10th before a flurry in the penultimate lap ended the fight.

Fury, who is represented by MTK – a sports management company linked to Daniel Kinahan, said in the ring afterwards: “It was a great fight, worthy of the best trilogies. I won’t apologize, Wilder is a top fighter, he gave me a run for my money.

“I always say I’m the best fighter in the world and he’s the second best. Never doubt me. When the chips are low I can always deliver.”

Few have given Wilder a chance to reverse the outcome that saw him lose his title 20 months ago, when he was left bloodied and shattered following a savage beating of Fury, who made the first defense of this crown.

Many observers expected it to be a similar scenario to this second fight – their opening game in December 2018 ended in a controversial draw – but Wilder’s improved display, allied to his courage. , made it an all-time classic.

Wilder (now 42-2-1, 41KOs) had exercised his right to a third encounter with Fury (31-0-1, 22KOs) via an American referee, dashing the Briton’s hopes of a domestic confrontation with Anthony Joshua this summer. .

Referee Russell Mora ending the bout in the 11th round

It’s a fight that was repeatedly postponed and Wilder made those present wait before exiting his dressing room in a more low-key fashion than Fury, who was instead dressed appropriately in a gladiator costume in front of this. who were the two fighters. ‘first outing since their last meeting in the ring.

Wilder blamed an elaborate ringwalk costume, among many other reasons, for the first loss of his professional career in February of last year. He got off to a good start here, with left rapier blows to Fury’s meaty chest, but the champion finished the first round with a bruised right hand, a sign of what was to come.

Fury, however, gradually progressed into the fight, including reducing the distance before pushing his opponent back into the ropes in round three and then discharging a stinging blow to the temple, along with a few other heavy blows, as Wilder slumped down. on the ground. .

Wilder looked like he was on shaky legs and only seemed to be saved by the bell as Fury attacked to finish. But remarkably, the former champ turned the tide with a straight right hand that knocked out several of his former enemies, with Fury crumbling after a delayed reaction.

Fury, who weighed 39 pounds heavier in Friday’s weigh-in, hit the ground again – marking the first time he’s been knocked down twice in one round – as Wilder rained down the shots.

Fury, however, absorbed whatever was thrown at him and came back strong in round five, with a double hit and a right hand forcing Wilder to hang on, with the Alabaman looking more and more tired as he went. as the minutes went by.

His punches seemed to lack the impact they might have had earlier as the rounds went by. In rounds six, seven and eight, the harder shots and higher work rate came from Fury, appearing to have fully recovered from his knockdowns.

A bloodied Wilder was checked by the medic before the start of the ninth, but he signified his threat with a huge uppercut at the end of the lap, but was on his knees in the 10th after another overhand right.

Wilder finished the tour strong, but seemed to be on his feet by the time the end came, with a flurry of Fury and the knockout from a brutal right hand sending Wilder falling face-first to the canvas.

It was the ninth and final reversal in their fighting trilogy and the most decisive as referee Russell Mora immediately signaled the end of the proceedings a minute and 10 seconds after the start of the penultimate round.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.